And 8 ways to implement incisiveness
Incisive changes are needed in any or all the following parts of a business. It all begins with more incisive leadership, which holds together and affects every other area:
1. Leadership. Lead by example, define clearer rules and keep to them. This will encourage greater clarity of communication and reinforce desired behaviours.
2. Vision and brand strategy. Sharpening your company’s vision and brand strategy, enabling simpler and more effective initiatives to cascade through the organisation for alignment and consistency.
3. Business structure. Remove unnecessary organisational layers, streamline reporting lines, and simplify controls.
4. Activities and roles. Sharpen definition of responsibilities for departments and staff, and remove duplication of activities to eliminates non-value-added work and make the business easier to navigate.
5. Systems, processes and IT. Again, clarify definition of policies and simplify rules for company processes supported by an appropriate IT infrastructure. Avoid handoffs between departments.
6. Employees and interactions. Structure career paths, improve employee development, increase engagement, remove silos and lessen the importance of personal connections when it comes to promotion.
7. Decisive decision-making. Clarify the mandate of managers to make decisions, avoid escalating decisions through several layers, promote understanding and cooperation.
8. Performance management. Sharpen your view of the business through aligned KPIs, processes, and incentives. Everything should lead back to simplifying your brand and strengthening your customer focus.
All these elements are interconnected, and a more incisive business has taken more than one of these. And addressing one area of over-complexity at a time won’t work either – transformational change requires simultaneous change in every area. For instance, organisational structures and processes usually become more complex as new departments and functions appear. But these areas can’t become more incisive over the long-term without also making changes to leadership, to how company vision and strategy are communicated, to how roles and responsibilities are defined, to how employees interact and are supported, and how incentives are established.
To reduce complexity in your business and increase value through incisiveness, talk to the established brand agency that specialises in your sector. Ask about CMDi’s Brand Builder programme >